Want to know why Orbit DVD is better than Internet streaming services?
Here are five reasons:
5. Browsing and socializing…at the same time! Imagine, renting a movie while getting out of the house.
4. Orbit is more than movies. It also carries games, comics, toys and more – like hundreds of things.
3. Orbit has huge selection of great movies – from Oscar winners to cult classics – not just the bottom shelf stuff the streaming services push out.
2. Lots of local stuff like locally produced movies and local art!
1. The Orbit DVD staff! What fun is renting a movie without the advice (and perhaps judgment) of those who live and breathe movie rental every day?
Want four more? How about holiday shopping discount weekends?
That’s right. Rejoice ye geeks – movie and otherwise! Orbit DVD has big sales on movies, video games, comic books and more each weekend through the holiday shopping season.
Since its opening in 2003, West Asheville’s only stop for DVDs has built an expanded universe to include all of the trappings of uberfandom, including video games and consoles, comic books, t-shirts and plenty of toys, cards and collectibles to keep the geekiest mind abuzz.
Owner Marc McCloud wears the badge proudly. “It’s like a gathering of the tribes,” he says of the holiday turnout. “People are lined up at the door waiting to get in when we open.”
The sales kick off on Small Business Saturday and continue each weekend through December 20. Here’s how to get a great deal for the holidays:
- Nov 27th, Small Business Saturday: EVERYTHING 12% off (excluding new games and consoles).
- Weekend of Dec 4th: MOVIE SALE – 20% off used and new movies. Clearance items as low as 10 cents.
- Weekend of Dec 11th: GAMES SALE – 20% off used games and systems. Clearance items as low as 10 cents.
- Weekend of Dec 18th: “ETC” – Everything else 20% (comics, books, shirts, toys) with deeper discounts for select items.
The season brings a big demand for holiday titles and kids movies and games, McCloud says, but there’s plenty of call for the obscure, the underground and the cult favorites.
McCloud does a solid job of keeping up Orbit’s year round momentum as well, regularly posting insider news, new releases, obscurities and trivia to the store’s Facebook thread. He also co-hosts the weekly “Reel Talk” at 103.3 AshevilleFM’s Haywood Road studios (tune in Tuesdays from 5-5:30 p.m.).
Photo by Alice io Oglesby.
Orbit DVD has been a supporting the onHaywood.com map project since the fist map was published in 2004. See a list of the other businesses that have been on the map since the beginning here.Share this article to...